A person that is good with communication can create trust and dialog. It is important to be aware of both verbal and nonverbal communication. There are several things you need to be aware of and try to use some and avoid others. Here we will list some tips that can help you to improve your presentation skills and communication.
What Can You Do To Communicate Better?
Here is the list of tips:
- Be present and at the moment (focus on a conversation)
- use eye contact
- Give positive attention to the person you are talking to
- Use listening signals such as:
- say YES
- say OK
- Adjust communication to the recipient at that can be:
- body language
- use of expressions
- voice volume or tempo
- Listen and try to understand the other person
- If you are not confident enough and prepared you will be focused too much only on what you are saying.
- Be compliant between word impression and body language.
- Use opened and closed questions consciously
- The open question makes a conversation and starts with the words (What, How, Why, Which…)
- Closed questions are ones that we can answer with yes or no
- Use closed questions to summarize. For example, is correct that? ..
- Check it out that what you have communicated so far has been understood
- Did you understand what I have just said?
- Be aware of one way and two-way communication
- Everything you send from your papers to a future employer is one-way communication
- That means there is room for interpretation
- therefore elaborate on what you put in a word such as creative or helpful so that reader will not understand the concept in some other way as intended from your side.
- Use examples, they can better make the point
Try To Avoid These Things While Improving Your Presentation Skills
Here is the avoid list:
- Avoid checking your phone
- this will show that your thoughts are somewhere else
- talking too expertise or technical language with non-technical persons
- talking loud in a quiet room or environment.
- This can make an impression that you are not interested in another person meaning
When Will You Use Presentation Skills
When we talk about the job searching process presentation skills will be used very often and in different forms.
Before we call the Job Vacancy contact person we will prepare Elevator Pitch which is a short self-marketing presentation. When we are pitching our prepared Elevator Pitch over the phone we will focus more on verbal communication skills unless we are in a video conference call.
In a Job Interview, there is a stage called Candidate Presentation where we will use Self-Presentation as an essential part of presenting us as the right candidate. This presentation goes a step further from the Elevator Pitch presentation since we will use verbal and nonverbal communication skills while presenting.
Every time we follow up different steps in the job application process we will use parts of the presentation to remind other parts about us as the candidate.
We always need to remind ourselves what is happening with our presentation message over time as the following illustration shows.
Just enter your email address and get updates right in your inbox.
Author: Dejan Mladenovic
I moved my family of 3 to Norway in 2008 and created this website so that I can share what I’ve learned with anyone that’s thinking of moving or traveling to Norway. It’s such an awesome place, and I want you to get the most out of it!
Reference Check During Job Application Process In Norway
Prepare reference list and inform your references about your job application status. You are just one step away from the job offer.
Prepare To Ace Job Interview In Norway
Job Interview might be to be or not to be in your job application process. We will show you what to expect and how to prepare to ace one.
Accept (or Decline) A Job Offer In Norway
You got your job offer. Congratulations. Check in our article if your offer includes all the important documents before signing.
How To Make Perfect Self-Presentation When Applying For Job In Norway
Self-presentation is extremely important during job interview. Learn how to nail the presentation and make good impression.
Don’t Forget To Follow Up After Job Interview In Norway
You have survived a Job Interview. Congratulations. However, do not start celebrating yet. Instead follow up job Interview with thank you letter.